Wednesday, 23 April 2014

Milton Keynes hits out at government’s affordable housing policy


Milton Keynes council has hit out at the government’s affordable housing policy in a letter to planning minister Nick Boles. 

Developers are allowed to appeal the level of affordable housing in new schemes and frequently negotiation for less than the 30% affordable housing level required by local policies.

The deputy leader of the council, David Hopkins, who is the portfolio holder for planning and economic development, said: "We are trying to build a city that is sustainable and we are not being allowed to," said David Hopkins, deputy leader of the council. "They are setting up problems not today or next year but in five years time, and there will be a shortage of affordable housing. That will lead to problems in the service sector and public sector because people won't be able to afford to live in Milton Keynes." 

Nick Boles told the Guardian that planning deals negotiated during the last housing boom are "economically unrealistic, meaning no development, no regeneration and no community benefits".  In a reply to David Hopkins, Boles refused an offer to meet and said: "We have been clear that the only grounds to reconsider previously agreed affordable housing contributions are economic viability and this needs to be evidenced and demonstrated for review.”

See also Milton Keynes Web

No comments:

Post a comment